Friday, May 18, 2007

One week old

Yesterday Sara was one week old. I decided to look back at what I wrote when Seth was a week old just to compare my thoughts and they are remarkably the same. I have been back to work a little longer, but this is my first day to be in Silver Spring. I couldn't work at home then like I can now.

We constantly try to compare Seth and Sara. I suppose that is because it Seth is our only frame of reference for what Sara is doing. We think we remember what Seth was like at this age, but all I really remember is how happy we were to have him. We feel the same way about Sara. I suppose they are fairly comparable as newborns. What is most remarkable is that Seth went from being really small to comparatively big overnight.

The most noticeable thing is that Seth talks, which we have kind of gotten used to, and Sara doesn't. I mean Seth really talks: Tells stories, expresses ideas, challenges us, asks questions, gives answers. Sara does not. Sara sleeps, grunts when she wants to eat, cries when she needs a new diaper, gazes around the room when she is awake. She is more and more alert every day which is interesting. You can actually see her vision getting better as she locks on to things that are farther from her.

Last evening I sat on the couch and read to Seth while holding Sara. I plan to do that a lot more.

No comments: