Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Travel and whatnot

Wait.. is "whatnot" actually a word? I wrote that title without thinking much about it. I was just going to do a quick post about my trips to Raleigh and Seattle. Then I got to thinking and whatnot (there it is again) and was wondering if was actually a word. Maybe it's just filler like yada yada, or blah blah or aaaanyway (which I really think means I'm sick of talking about this, but I don't know how to stop)

We spend a lot of time stuffing our writing and conversation with things like that. It gives us structure, and filler when we think too slowly, and clues to where the conversation might go and a way to include all of the stuff we want to say without really saying it.

I also notice that I pick up crutches every now and then. Word patterns that I use, but I'm not sure why.

EXAMPLES:

"The upshot of that is..." Huh? Explain what that means
"To be completely honest...: As if I was not being completely honest before
"In general..." especially useful for highlighting something specific

I'm sure I'll think of more after I post this.

Aaanyway, leave a comment with other crutches that you know, or use, or whatnot.

No comments: