Friday, September 17, 2004

Asheville - Survived

Well, it turns out that Hurricane Ivan did indeed visit Asheville while I was there. The rain was heavy on and off all day Thursday. That night about 10:30 the power went off in the hotel where I was staying. It's a pretty strange feeling to be in a hotel with the power off. However, I figured it was about the best place to be duirng the wind a and rain.

I used my cell phone as a mini flashlight so that i could see to brush my teeth and go to bed. I may actually consider carrying a flashlight in my kit from now on! When I left this morning the lights were still not on.

Both the French Broad and Swananoa rivers were badly flooded and the town of Hot Springs, NC (NW of Asheville) was expected to have 1 to 3 feet of water in the downtown area.

I caught a 10:30 flight from Greenville, SC and was home by 1:30.

No comments: