Saturday, September 04, 2004

Poaching Bandwidth

One of my neighbors (not sure who) has apparently gotten wireless broadband because I am picking up a connection in my kitchen. I learned this by accident because I left the wirless card turned on when I was working at home and suddenly I had a live network connection. It is intermittent and weak but it is good enough that I can get mail and browse the web.

As far as I can tell, the best connection I get is in the middle of my kitchen table which is right next to a big window. I suppose the window casues less interference than the brick walls.

Right now, my own DSL connection is dead. Verizon has been really slow about fixing it. We are now down for 3 days and, because this is Labor Day weekend, I dont expect it back up until Tuesday at the earliest. I did get them to give me 40 extra days of free service as compensation.

Anyway, thanks to my neighbor, I am still poking along online.

No comments: