Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Barro Colorado Island

Yesterday (7/13/05) I had the opportunity to hike across Barro Colorado island. As part of the inventory that we are taking we decided to visit the seven radio telemetry towers that are used to track animals on the island. After a 20 minute boat ride to the far side, we hiked through the rain forest for about 4 hours going from tower to tower and then ran out of time so we only got to 5 of the seven towers. We had to catch the return boat to Gamboa at 3:40.

It was an amazing trek. I am going to get a map from the person I was traveling with so that I can calculate the distance we hiked. It was very rugged, sometimes muddy, sometimes rocky, and always tricky. The climbs and descents were generally steep and slippery.

We saw some very cool animals:
Howler Monkeys
Capuchin (white face) monkeys
Agoutis
Coatimundi
Snakes
Lizards
Toads
spectacled owl
white tailed trogon
snail kite
puma (cougar) tracks - very cool!

I am really glad I did it and was really tired when it was over.

No comments: