Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Business Travel

11:45 am
I am en-route to Clemson, SC this morning. It is interesting to me how we can travel among groups of people, in close quarters on an airplane, and not interact with anyone except for telling the flight attendant what we want to drink. I suppose part of that is because airplane seating isn't designed around socializing. It is also partly because many of the travelers are by themselves.

I am sitting in a asile set with an empty chair next to me. If someone were in the seat across the aisle, which is also empty, I probably would not strike up a conversation. If someone were in the window seat, there is a chance that we might talk, but I have often sat next to someone on a plane and hardly said a word.

I suppose we do this because it doesn't make sense to invest effort into what is clearly a very short term relationship and because some people aren't very good at, or don't enjoy, small talk.

No comments: